Friday, May 27, 2011

Saving Money by Buying Bone-In Chicken Breasts and Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken

I recently purchased a pack of bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts.  I don't buy chicken breasts very often because they are so expensive, but this was a big pack of chicken for $.99 a lb.  I ended up spending about $3.80 for the pack and used it to make BBQ Pulled Chicken last night.  It made enough to feed 3 adults, 1 child, and for me to have enough meat left over to put into our quesadillas tonight.

Before I started, I went on to YouTube and watched videos on how to take a bone out of a chicken breast.  I was surprised at how easy it was, and the nice piece of meat that I was able to get from each breast. I will be buying more of these the next time they are on sale.

Slow-Cooker BBQ Chicken

(I got this recipe from the All You magazine and plugged it into WW.  You can eat in on a multi-gran or whole wheat bun, on a baked potato, or by itself).

24 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3/4 cup barbecue sauce
1/4 cup reduced-fat Italian dressing
2 TBSP packed brown sugar
1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
2 TBSP cornstarch
2 TBSP low-sodium chicken broth (I left this out and used water instead)

Put chicken in slow cooker.  In a bowl, combine barbeque sauce, dressing, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce.  Pour over chicken.  Cover and cook on low for 5 hours.

Remove chicken to a cutting board and shred with 2 forks.  In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and chicken broth (or water).  Stir into sauce in slow cooker, cover and cook until sauce is thickened and heated through (about 10 minutes).  Return chicken to cooker, stir, cover and continue cooking on low for 45 minutes. 

Serves 8................................................................................................3 WWPP per serving

No comments:

Post a Comment