Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Creamy Tortellini and Vegetable Salad

Ok, so I made this last night for dinner, and it shows that sometimes substitutions don't work out as well as you think they will.  It actually tasted ok, but it's not very appetizing to look at ;)  I went ahead and doubled the recipe, because I made it for dinner for the family and I wanted to have some for my husband to take for lunch.

Creamy Tortellini and Vegetable Salad (from WW website) - 8 PP per 1 and 1/2 cup serving. 

1/4 lb. Frozen Cheese Tortellini (or 1/2 half of a refrigerated tortellini.  I used the refrigerated spinach tortellini from Buitoni that I got on sale with a coupon).
5 oz. sugar snap peas, frozen, thawed (I used a can of peas)
1 TBSP reduced-calorie mayo
1 TBSP balsalmic vinegar, white variety (I used just regular bv)
3 TBSP grated Parmesan cheese
12 medium cherry tomatoes, cut in half (Used the tomatoes I got on sale last week)
2 TBSP red onions (I didn't have red, so I used yellow)
1 TBSP capers (didn't have, so left it out)
1/8 TSP black pepper

Cook tortellini according to package.  Add peas in the last 2 minutes of cooking.  Drain and rinse under cold water.

Combine mayo, vinegar, and 1 TBSP of Parm. cheese in the bottom of a serving bowl.  Add tortellini and peas, tomatoes, onions, and capers.  Toss and coat.  Sprinkle salad with remaining 2 TBSP of Parm. cheese and pepper.  Serve at once or refrigerate for up to 24 hours and serve chilled.


Like I said, it probably would have been more appetizing if I had used whole wheat tortellini, or one that wasn't green in color ;)

1 comment: