Friday, April 29, 2011

Entertaining with WW - Part Two - Vietnamese Chicken Soup

This is another dish that I made for my book club girls.  It was incredibly easy, tasty, and filling.  Seriously delicious.  We will most definitely be having this again as a family! After I cooked it, I put it in my crockpot to keep warm, and that worked well.

4 oz. rice-stick noodles
8 c. reduced-sodium chicken broth
6 small basil sprigs
6 cilantro sprigs
3 scallions, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, peeled
10 whole peppercorns
1 whole star anise (I couldn't find this, so I left it out)
1 TSP coriander seeds
3 (5 oz) chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
1/4 TSP salt
1 cup fresh Asian mushrooms (I used Shitake)
4 scallion tops, thinly sliced lengthwise

Cook noodles according to package directions, drain.  (I cooked my noodles last per directions on box).

Combine broth, basil sprigs, cilantro sprigs, 2 of the scallions, garlic, peppercorns, star anise, and coriander seeds in a large pot.  Boil.  Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.  Add chicken and salt.  Return to simmer.  Simmer (covered) until chicken is cooked through (about 10 - 12 minutes).

Transfer chicken to plate.  Pour broth mixture through fine-mesh sieve set over a large bowl.  Discard solids.  Return broth to clean pot.

Cut chicken into 1/2 inch thick strips.  Add to broth.  Add noodles, mushrooms, and remaining scallion to broth.  Cook soup over medium heat until heated through (3 minutes).  Stir in scallion tops.

Serves 4 (2 1/2c per serving)..................................................................................................9 points

No comments:

Post a Comment