Thursday, April 28, 2011

Entertaining with WW - Part One - Thai Curry-Coconut Rice

I belong to a ladies book club that meets once a month, and last week it was my turn to host.  We read books of all different genres, and this month we read a collection of short stories called "Lucky Girls" by Nell Freudenberger.  It is the host's duty to create a snack (or meal) based on the book.  All of these stories were based in foreign countries, and I decided to create one dish per story (there were five stories in the book).  I ended up needing 3 Indian dishes, 1 Thai dish, and 1 Vietnamese dish.  Where to find these?  My WW PointsPlus Cookbook! I was so delighted to find these amazing recipes in the cookbook, and it allowed me to enjoy my party and still easily keep track of points.  I will be sharing one recipe a day for the next four days.

I will send a work of caution that collectively it cost me about $60 to make 4 recipes (for the 5th story we purchased desserts from the Indian grocery).  However, most of the cost came from having to initially buy a lot of spices and if you are only making one dish at a time, the cost would be minimal.  I was also super excited to discover that Meijer carried everything I needed for these dishes.  I love their international aisle!

THAI CURRY-COCONUT RICE

1 TSP canola oil
1 medium shallot, finely chopped
1 small garlic clove, minced
1 TSP minced peeled fresh ginger (only cost $.88 at Meijer)
1 TSP Thai red curry paste
1/2 TSP salt
1/8 TSP ground cardamom
1/8 TSP ground cinnamon
1 cup instant brown rice
1 cup water
1/2 cup light coconut milk
2 TBSP fresh chopped cilantro

Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat.  Add shallot, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring often, until softened (3 minutes).  Add curry paste, salt, cardamom, and cinnamon; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant (30 seconds).

Add rice, water, and coconut milk to saucepan.  Bring to boil.  Reduce head and simmer, covered, until brown rice is tender (10-12 minutes).  Fluff rice with fork and stir in cilantro.

This was SUPER delicious (and not spicy at all).  We will definitely be having it again!

Serves 4 (3/4cup per serving)................................................3 Points

1 comment:

  1. This sounds great! I love Curry and can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete