Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Turkey Shepherd's Pie with Mashed Sweet Potatoes

So, without warning my husband sent our laptop back to Dell to be worked on, which means no blog pictures for the rest of the week (I am working on our old desktop).  I made this last night for dinner.  I ate one piece, and my husband ate the rest, so he must have liked it.  I thought there was a bit too much thyme and oregano, so I will lessen that the next time I make this.

1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
1/3 c. of buttermilk
1/4 tsp of garlic powder
1/8 tsp of table salt (to taste)
1/8 tsp of black pepper (to taste)
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 c. red onion, chopped (I had yellow onions, so that's what I used)
2 cloves minced garlic
6 medium baby carrots, chopped
20 oz. raw turkey sausage, sweet Italian-variety, casings removed
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
10 and 3/4oz canned tomato soup, made with low-fat milk

Preheat oven to 400F.
Place potatoes in a saucepan and pour in enough water to cover.  Set over high heat and bring to a boil.  Boil for about 8 minutes, or until fork tender.  Drain potatoes.  Return to pan and mash with buttermilk and garlic powder.  Season with salt and pepper.

Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.  Saute onion and garlic for about 3 minutes.  Add carrots and saute one more minute.  Remove vegetables from skillet and set aside.

Add sausage to same skillet.  Saute until browned, breaking up sausage as it cooks.  Return vegetables to skillet.  Add oregano, thyme, and 1/4 tsp of black pepper.  Cook one minute and add soup.  Simmer until liquid is absorbed (about 2 minutes).  Remove skillet from heat and pour mixture into 9-inch pie plate.  Spoon mashed potatoes over turkey mix and spread into an even layer. 

Bake 25 minutes.

Six servings.................................6 points per serving

No comments:

Post a Comment