Monday, April 11, 2011

Herbed Salad with Roasted Corn and Pita Croutons

I found this receipe in the new WW PP cookbook (p.111) and decided that with the sales I got last week, this would make a filling and satisfying lunch this week (I will probably eat it a few times over the next two weeks so that my produce doesn't go bad).  Here is the receipe:

1 (6-in) Whole Wheat Pita, cut into sixteen wedges
1/3 cup fresh corn
2 TBSP Lemon Juice
1 TBSP Olive Oil
1 minced garlic clove
1/4 TSP salt
Pinch Black Pepper
2 cups Romaine Lettuce
1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1 Kirby cucumber, halved lengthwised and sliced
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint

Serves 4; 3 PP per serving

Preheat Oven to 375F.  Spray baking pan with nonstick spray.  Place pita wedges on one end and corn on the other.  Back for about 12 minutes (until corn is browned)

Dressing: combine lemon juice, oil, garlic, salt, and pepper in bowl.

Add romaine, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, parsley, mint, pita wedges, and corn to dressing.  Toss to coat.  Makes 1 and 1/4 cups per serving.

My Version :  I made 1/4 of the receipe for my lunch.  I used the lettuce I had from the Meijer sale last week and the tomatoes.  I did not have a red onion, so I used a yellow onion.  I substitued celery for the cucumber, and left out the parsley and mint.  REMEMBER... USE WHAT YOU HAVE! Just because it says "Kirby" tomatoes, it doesn't mean you have to go spend the $ for them.  Or the parsley and mint.  Although they will enhance the flavor of the salad, they aren't necessary and they can really make your grocery budget go up! Just use what you have or what is on sale.  My PP for the substitutions was still 3!

1 comment:

  1. I am going to try the pita croutons! It is a great idea! Keep them coming! :)

    ReplyDelete